Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Old Skool Parenting!!!

TYFaMNTY!!!! What's up with these kids now-a-days? They are so dam picky!
I have slaved over hot stove making my family a meal and my daughter had the nerve to turn up her nose and say "I don't want that!" The funny part is, I'll start to accomodate her request, before I snap out of it and tell her "No, either you eat this or NOTHING". WTH!
When I was a kid I didn't even have the courage to tell my parents I didn't want to eat a meal they put in front of me, I just ate it. No matter what it was... nasty lima beans or lumpy oatmeal. You either ate it, or sat at the table looking pitiful until you either fell asleep at the table or your parents gave in (which would take HOURS). So let's get back to Old Skool parenting ---Well...minus the whooppin' your kids with switches and extension cords, that was just waaaay too much. Although, there are some kids out there that really need a good taste of the switch ;o)

Happy Hump Day!

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! LaLa did that too me when she was about 3 or 4. I put my foot down but you know her grandparents had to take over and give her something else... they wanna step in anytime the feel like...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I feel you need to nip this in the bud right off the bat if its gonna be a rule, ever since my son has been little I have been accomadating and now it is to late to use the "eat it, cause thats all your getting" routine. Now, as I was reading this I had a thought, we as the 70's children were told various things like: "you dont get up from the table till you finish your plate", "you dont get dessert unless you eat all your dinner", etc. I think this mentality has contributed to the way I behave with food and now has me in a 12step program. Makes me wonder,true the childhood obesity rates have sky rocketed, however maybe if I was allowed to leave the table when I was full and not when my plate was empty or was allowed to go to the movies even if my tuna sandwich (which made me gag) wasnt eaten would I be in the same situation? Maybe if we allow our kids to eat what tastes good to them (within the proper nutrition guidelines that is) they wont feel the need to overdo what they think they are missing out on. Im not justifying making my son a separate meal when we have foods that he does not enjoy, but I feel as busy moms we need to choose our battles and that was one I did not want to take on. I was also hell bent on not repeating behaviors around food that created uncomfortable memories for me.

    ReplyDelete