Sunday, May 17, 2009

BOOK CLUB!


No one ever told me that I would find such solice in sitting around talking with other women about motherhood! It helps me to know that I am not alone in this journey.


Friday Night was BOOK CLUB NIGHT! Shout out to The Four Sisters Book Club!!!

Our current selection is Suze Orman’s Women and Money. This was a great book of financial advice; however, the book also contained extremely valuable information about how women (especially mothers) put ourselves last behind every other person or thing that we manage in our lives. Putting ourselves last also contributes to why we don’t manage our money well. My mom always told me that the bible tells you to leave an inheritance for your family. I am continuously working toward getting to that next level of creating a financial legacy for my daughter. However, it was through reading this book that I realized that I have a long way to go. Ladies, this book is a must read!!!

As usual, the second half of our book club meeting is spent socializing, laughing and just relaxing. We started talking about money and how our children have NO IDEA what its like to want for something. They do not know what its like to go without something. I remember doing to the store with my mom…the prep speech went something like this “Okay, we are going into this store, don’t touch nothin’ and don’t ask for nothin’.” ENOUGH SAID. My daughter and many kids like her have no concept of this.

Not only do our kids have everything, money is indispensable in their world. Once my daughter asked me to take her to get ice cream. I said "I don't have any money", she replied "Then let's go to the ATM so you can get some". She really thought the ATM was some machine that magically spits out money whenever you need it. So we had to have a conversation about how mommy and daddy work at their jobs, and the money from working is what we are getting out of the ATM. These are real conversations that we need to have with our kids so they realize the value of money and how we as their parents work hard to support our families. The weird thing is...she got it! Man, I know I was NOT that smart at the age of 5.

The next book club selection…….Brenda Jackson’s Just Desserts! It’s romance time…happy reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment